Back to school

So... summer is leaving!
Summer was good. For us.
I know, there wasn't sun enough but it means we didn't have dog days and I wasn't all sweaty and tired for weeks. Also I'm glad first summer for Sara was like this, not too hot.
I think the one who misses the sun the most is Emma and this year her swimsuit didn't leave a strong sign on her body but she sunbathed a lot, yes she did.
Emma is back to preschool since last monday. She's is on her second year. Usually in Italy kids stay in preschool for 2-3 years. She was really eager to go back to school and happy to see her friends back.
Next week Sara will start with daycare. Yes. She's young for daycare, she'll be 8 months in few days. We do daycare otherwise "making my magic" cannot go longer. I always say to my husband he is the CEO guy in this enterprise and I'm the plant manager haha...
I really don't know how it will work for Sara, for Emma it was good and it seems she was made to be with strangers because we never had any crying escene or runaway attempt while being at the daycare gate. Emma really enjoyed her time there. Sara is like Pandora's Box. She was such a quiet and sweet newborn. Now she's like those tropical depressions that could become a hurricane in a twist!
She's really fun even if I'm glad when she goes on "stand by" mode and finally naps hehe...

For her I made a daycare kit.
At any italian daycare they ask for a drawstring bag, bibs, a pair of towells and sometimes also a blanket.


I used a piece of soft colors striped canvas I had from Ikea. It used to be a sort of "roof" for Emma's bed. I reused it since it was a large piece. Great print, soft, and nice weight for Sara's daycare kit ;)
The elephants fabric comes from Umbrella Prints. Do you remember this?
Well, this fabric was part of the prize. Gorgeous fabrics!

I learned sewing drawstring bags from this book by Lotta Jansdotter. It is a great book and I think most people who starts sewing self taught owns one copy. I do. 
I've sewn the original drawsting backpack in the book several times and then I've made several variations and improvements as well. Sara's drawstring bag is larger than the one in the book and has a single pocket in the front. 


The first things I ever sewn were baby bibs. 
And now, I confess, I don't love too much making bibs ;)
But they are useful and really fast and easy to sew. 
For these bibs I used the "Messy kid bib" from "Oliver+S little things to sew" book. 
I simplified the original pattern and adapted to our necessities. I like this pattern a lot because is large enough and its shape is great. It closes on one side instead of behind. It is long enough and has a sort of "pear shape" that allows kids movements without moving itself. 
For the towells. They are Ikea towells, I just add a kind of tag on the corners from the elephants fabric. 

I've been also sewing for my Etsy shop. I have some nice things ready and a couple on progress. I will re-open my Etsy shop on September 15th. Can't wait :)



Pin It

Commenti

Post più popolari