Our bodies - only in english -

Nude with phone - Christopher DeLorenzo

Being a seamstress working on custom made garments gives you chance to get to know a lot about bodies.
I do work specially for women bodies.
Sincerely I find them all fine and at a first sight what I get from body measurements and your dress choice is how much fabric will be needed. Then I figure out about modifications and alterations from the original design according each customer body.

I have developed a line outside the usual women mass media bodies. I stopped looking at women mass media bodies as icons to follow in my mid-twenties. It was because I changed continent, I got in touch with people feeling good being as they are, I also knew a different way of living.  Maybe I change my point of view about the "look and body perfection" because I had a small luggage and also was short of money so even if staying in one of the top fashion and style countries in the world (Italy), mass media style wasn't affordable.

Besides the fashion and style thing, from Italy I also learned the beauty of raw original materials, how stuff is beautiful, so well made and how it last ages. And people keep it, proudly.
Here I also got to learn women are able to smile and look gorgeous even if they are suffering as hell inside wearing what they wear. I don't like that side of the coin so I didn't take it for myself.

When I starting my seamstress business I wanted to have easy wear pieces for any kind of body, from the technical side I always pursuit styles that could fit the best most bodies so I avoid very structured pieces, complex drapings, hazardous cuts, etc. I use only basic bust shaping darts. Any style I think up can be easily altered and size upgraded, it really eases my work.

I never ask for the size you wear, fashion business sizes are misled, each firm manages them as they like according the market they want to reach. If somewhere you fit a Medium, for others you'll fit a Large and so on. It is really useless people says they wear 10, 2, 8, 12... whatever. Even if you go shopping ready to wear clothing, I find useless to focus on the size this firm tags you in, you could try at least 3 sizes and take the one that fits the best and makes you feel good. What you usually do is trying the size you think you must fit in.
What really counts are your real body measurements. Obviously to make clothing a size scale is needed but believe me, it is useful the most for pattern grading.

It's very hard to please women and their bodies. Somehow we women are always made wrong. When instead we could be perfect as we are, establishing this sentence always if you are healthy and you are not distressing your body somehow.
We must think beauty changes countries to countries. Where someone could be a beauty, somewhere else they don't. Beauty statements changes year to year, and it's funny how a fashion style nowadays looks ugly, it was on top of beauty 20-30 years ago.

When thinking about how your body is made, take count of your genetics and background. Bones and flesh -even fat- are a heritage, we add personal habits and facts but as we say in my country land: Genio y figura hasta la sepultura (Looks and brains right up to the grave).

Treat yourself with respect, all the time :)


Pin It

Commenti

  1. Nice post! Thanks for sharing, Diana.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you very much Patricia, for your comment and taking time for reading this little thing :)
      xx

      Elimina

Posta un commento

Post più popolari